Lesson from today’s show: how to connect with customers on social media
JSB Talks Digital is a weekly podcast show hosted by social media author, strategist, consultant, speaker and trainer Joanne Sweeney-Burke. Each Friday Joanne shares her digital marketing and social media insights from her work as CEO of Digital Training Institute.
Hello and welcome to JSB Talks Digital. The podcast for marketers, small business owners and those of you bringing your skills into the Digital Age! I’m Joanne Sweeney-Burke and I’m your host!
In this episode
- Facebook Rolls out 2-Person Facebook Live Broadcasts & updates layout for Pages
- Pinterest Unveils Promoted Video
- Twitter announces promoted stickers
- I interview Donegal Restaurant Owner, Martin Anderson
- My Shoutouts:
- Irish Blogger Agency Launch & competition
- Learn Inbound 1-day content marketing conference in Dublin
- Food, Retail & Hospitality Expo in Dublin
- My featured column: the components of a social media strategy; and
- The social media tool that saved my working week.
Useful links from this episode
- Irish Blogger Agency Official launch – I’ll be there talking about blogging for business. Register here.
- Food, Retail & Hospital Expo – I’ll be presenting a workshop on JSB’s Digital Bites.
- Learn Inbound one day conference. Register here.
Interview of the Week
In this week’s show I’m delighted to be joined by a friend of mine from my home county of Donegal in the North West. Martin Anderson is a ‘social chef’ and owner of Sonder Restaurant in Letterkenny. Martin is a published author, has a cookery slot on local radio and has been an early adopter of social media since the early days of the social web.
Here’s the video of Martin dancing that he talks about on our interview! Now wouldn’t that brighten up your Monday morning?
You have to follow Martin on Snapchat – cheftothestars or LIKE Sonder on Facebook.
JSB’s Featured Column
How to write a social media strategy
I hosted a webinar recently on How to Write a Social Media Strategy so I thought I’d share my insights on that webinar on this podcast!
Anyone that reads, listens to or who watches my content online will have heard me say this before: “When developing your social media strategy you have to be social, and not just do social, for social media’s sake.”
Social networking implies interaction. If you are not getting engagement then you are having a one-way conversation with yourself. To correct this: you must create content that ignites a response.
So take my free advice and build out your social media strategy following these seven steps:
- Audit your existing social media presence
- Set SMART Objectives
- Choose the right channels
- Develop a content plan
- Invest in social advertising
- Work smart with social media tools
- Make sure you measure results and iterate
I’ve written an in-depth blog post on how to write a social media strategy so take a look at that over on digitaltraining.ie
Here’s a sample of the top tips I share in that post:
- To find out what adjustments need to be made to your social media marketing strategy, you should constantly be testing. Build testing capabilities into every action you take on social networks. For example, Track the number of clicks your links get on a particular channel using URL shorteners and UTM codes.
- Personalization is priority! To cut through the social media noise you must show the personality behind you or your brand. Get front of screen using video marketing tactics.
- News-jack at every opportunity. Social media has led us to an obsession of needing to know what’s happening now! Not what happened yesterday. Yesterday is too late. Therefore you need to be ready to news-jack a trending topic on social media. News-jacking is essentially piggy-backing on a viral or breaking news story to attract more eyeballs on your social content. However, be relevant with your contribution! Otherwise it’s not effective.
The social media tool that saved my working week is…
So the tool that saved my working week this week is the Google Analytics Chrome Extension. How often are you online and wondering how your website is performing from a traffic perspective?
Well that thought is regularly on my mind. So that’s why I love the Google Analytics Chrome Extension.
It allows you to get detailed information about each page of your website while you browse it. Read my blog post on how to use the tool.
I love feedback
I’d love to know what you think about this episode. So please get in touch by commenting below or tweet me @tweetsbyJSB or send me a snap to jsbsnaps.