JSB Talks Digital is a weekly podcast show hosted by social media author, strategist, consultant, speaker and trainer Joanne Sweeney-Burke. Each Friday Joanne shares her digital marketing and social media insights from her work as CEO of Digital Training Institute.
Hello and welcome to JSB Talks Digital. The podcast for marketers, small business owners and those of you bringing your skills into the Digital Age! I’m Joanne Sweeney-Burke and I’m your host!
In this episode
- Twitter introduces 140-second video;
- Pinterest acquires shopping app Tote to hire its founders;
- I review the 2016 State of Social Marketing Report from Simply Measured;
- I speak to Tris Dyer, Head of Social Strategy at Dublin-based agency Leading Social;
- My Shoutouts: the Irish soccer fans in France who are breaking the Internet, my first article on Social Media Examiner and BobbyB, my 6-year old son, who’s looking forward to talking Snapchat on my podcast;
- My featured column: why I spend 20 hours per week producing free content; and
- Tweetdeck – the social media tool that saved my working week.
Useful links from this episode
- Simply Measured has released the 2016 results of their State of Social Marketing survey which always offers valuable insights into the social marketing industry. The 46-page report is quite a read so I decided to read it, analyze it and give you my key takeaways in this blog post.
- Watch my favourite Irish soccer fan videos from Euro 2016.
- Add Tris Dyer from Leading Social on Snapchat tris001.
- Tweetdeck, the social media tool that saved my working week. Schedule tweets and manage conversations in this free tool from Twitter.
Content is currency if you convert it
I write. A lot. In fact I write about 20,000 words per week. So what do I write about I hear you ask? Well it’s mainly work-related. So I write blog posts, online press releases, speeches, social media content, digital and social media marketing strategies, presentations, pitches, media briefings, eBooks, how-to guides and emails!
All of this content is for my clients. But I also write many more words for the business – Digital Training Institute.
A while back I developed my content calendar, which keeps me focused on producing content for my community. So each week I would spend up to 20 hours writing content that will ultimately be shared freely on my website, blog, webinar channel, podcast, social networks, e-zines and at events.
Well I have a strategy behind all of this content and it is to monetize my knowledge, by creating products that my community want and need, provided to them at an affordable price and with direct access to me. How are you converting your content?
Tris Dyer from Leading Social says business owners must:
- Not fire out marketing messages without being social;
- Use the 80/20 rule – 80% of content being social and 20% being the marketing message;
- Have a strategy: planned, coherent and measured;
- Consider outsourcing if you don’t have the skills in-house; and
- Spend money on social advertising which can show a return on investment. 70% of social advertising is going on Facebook in Tris’ experience, followed by Twitter and a smaller portion on LinkedIn.
Send me your feedback
I’d love to know what you think about this episode. So please get in touch by commenting below or tweet me @tweetsbyJSB or send me a snap to jsbsnaps. I’d also really appreciate a review on iTunes.