Everything you need to know about Snapchat
We are on Snapchat. Follow us – DigitalTraining
Snapchat is slowly becoming one of the most popular social networking apps. It has many features, which allow the user to send pictures, videos, video chat and message. Here is everything you need to know about the app.
How to set up Snapchat
- Download the Snapchat app from the iTunes or android store.
- Once downloaded, enter the app and click sign up.
- Enter your email address, preferred password and your birthday.
- Click sign up.
- Then you are a member. Team Snapchat will send you a tutorial video to help get you started.
How to use Snapchat and features
- Friends – The first thing you need to do is add some friends to your account. If you know their Snapchat names, swipe over to the Add Friends menu. Click the Search symbol and enter their name. Once their name is correct click the add button. You can also click the contacts button. Here everyone who is in your contacts and if they have a Snapchat account. The symbol, which has a person and a plus, is the menu of snapchatters who added you. You can click the plus button beside their name and add them back.
- Pictures – In the beginning Snapchat was used as a photo sending app. Take a photo of yourself or something and click the contact you want to send it to. To view a snap you must hold down the notification until it disappears.
- Timing – Once you have taken your photo, don’t forget to choose how long you want to receiver to see your snap for. You can choose anywhere between 1 and 10 seconds.
- Drawing – This feature is not very professional but you have the option once you have taken a picture to draw something on it. Click the pencil icon and the top right corner of the picture, choose your colour and enjoy making a masterpiece.
- Video – To make a video on Snapchat you must hold down the circle. Your video will then record for up to 10 seconds. Again you can draw on the video and send it to as many contacts as you like.
- Chat – Recently Snapchat introduced chat for Snapchat. Here you can choose a contact who has recently snapchatted you, swipe to the right and begin a conversation with them. Once you exit out of the conversation the messages will disappear. If you want to save them you have to click the message you want to save so that it is highlighted and then once you enter back into the conversation the message will still be there. You can also send photos from your camera roll by clicking the box at the bottom right hand corner.
- Snapchat Video Chat – Snapchat have video messenger. If both contact are on their message page then the yellow circle will turn blue. If both contact hold own the blue button they will immediately be able to video chat. You must hold your finger on the screen continuously or you will be exited from the video.
- Snapchat Story – Instead of selecting all you contact manually, Snapchat no let you create a Snapchat story. This is where all your images and pictures will come up on the feed of all your contacts for them to view. They can view these pictures and videos as many times as they want for 24 hours.
- Effects – Once you have taken a photo or a video you can put an effect on it. Swipe to the right and your photo will be filtered. You can also add the time, temperature and that speed you are travelling at. To activate the effects go into settings, additional settings, manage and put the effects on.
Why Snapchat for business
- People use it and they are going to keep using it. There is a huge market on Snapchat. 11% of people in Ireland use it.
- Shows that you are a cool company and up to date with the current trends.
- You have already built the audience on other social platforms such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter. You can promote your Snapchat name on these sites and connect with the same people which will help reinforce your brand.
- It’s a new way of advertising, which is free. It costs nothing but your time so you really have nothing to loose.
- It’s a great way to give advice and tips on your service or product. Customers will be engaged.
- It is direct. When you post on Facebook or Twitter the timing is everything. However if you are using Snapchat you can see exactly who opened your snap and when. If you send it directly to them they will get a notification on their phone and check it.
- Snapchat can be used as another method of customer feedback